About Vanita Lott:
As a Certified Nurse Midwife, RN, and BSN, my passion is sharing my 35 years of experience, knowledge and wisdom to empower women to make fully informed choices for a safer, easier and more beautiful birth. Today’s extreme techno-medical approach treats birth as a disaster waiting to happen and imposes many dubious interventions on even normal labors. Our maternity care system has become infected with the profit and power-driven agendas of insurance companies; hospital, pharmaceutical and medical supply corporations; and even the medical societies. Despite pretty labor rooms and more female Ob/Gyns, the cesarean rates skyrocketed. Unbelievably, our current system was never designed to be mother & baby friendly and has been criticized as pseudo-scientific by independent researchers. Our dangerous “unnec-cesarean” epidemic is the most glaring example that this very unbalanced approach needs a dramatic overhaul to become wellness & prevention oriented to meet the real needs of mothers, babies and their families.
- Called to be midwife at the age of 16 while reading about the U.S. Air Force’s CNMs.
- Bachelor’s of Science in Nursing from William Patterson College in New Jersey in 1981. Cum Laude (with Honors).
- Frontier School of Midwifery, graduated with GPA of 3.87 in 1997.
- American College of Nurse-Midwives board certified.
- Hospital experience including high-risk in N.J., N.Y., Washington, Arizona, Nevada, and California.
- Professional & community lecturer, seminar leader and researcher.
- Avid student of alternative holistic healing practices, including naturopathy, herbal medicine, sound and spiritual healing.
- Certified yoga teacher and Reiki (hands-on-healing) practitioner.
- Loves kayaking, hiking, ecstatic dance, yoga, meditation, being in nature, being with family & friends.